Tuning a car Engine
At Firestone Complete Auto Care stores we frequently meet vehicle owners who have questions. What is an engine tune-up an engine? How often should my car get an engine tune-up?
- Visually inspect the engine’s fuel-system components looking to make sure the fuel filter is clean and clog-free, that a clogged filter hasn’t caused any damage to the fuel pump, and that the fuel injectors are free of deposits and other grime.
- Visually inspect the spark plugs to gauge their age and wear.
- Check spark plug performance to make sure they are functioning properly.
- As needed, replace your vehicle’s points and condenser, if applicable.
- Check and adjust the ignition timing and idle if needed.
- Check the engine’s PCV valve.
- Check the vehicle’s engine air filter and cabin air filter.
- Check oil and coolant levels.
In terms of how often an engine tune-up is needed, service requirements vary from vehicle to vehicle, and can also vary based on vehicle mileage and age. You can find a vehicle manufacturer-recommended schedule for tune-ups and other maintenance in your vehicle owner’s manual, or a Firestone Complete Auto Care tire and auto service professional can supply you with a printout upon request.