Where can I customize my truck online?
You can order personalized plates for passenger vehicles, commercial vehicles and motorcycles.
Many picture plates can also be personalized. You can browse our collection of picture plates online. The categories are:
Can I order personalized plates online?
Yes. You can order personalized plates online unless you want personalized plates for people with disabilities that have the Universal Symbol of Access.
To order personalized plates online:
- You must have a valid New York State vehicle registration in the passenger, commercial or motorcycle registration class that does not expire within 60 days.
- The mailing address on your vehicle registration record must be your current mailing address.
- Your vehicle registration record must match your current name if your name has changed.
- You must have a credit card that DMV accepts, and a valid email address for confirmation purposes.
Can I order personalized plates by mail?
Mail the completed form and your payment to:
NYS DMV Custom Plates Unit
P.O. Box 2775
Albany, NY 12220
Can I order personalized plates a DMV office?
Yes, but you can save yourself trip. It’s faster and easier to do it online.
How long will it take to receive my new custom plates and registration?
- In approximately 10 days or less after your order is processed, you will receive new documents that show your current plate number and your new plate combination.
- Allow at least six weeks for the custom plates to arrive
- Your new registration documents will be mailed separately from your new custom plates
- If you do not receive your registration documents within two weeks or your custom plates within six weeks, contact the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838.